Chubby buns are cute on babies, but having a flabby bottom isn't likely to make you smile. Because there's no such thing as spot reducing, you have to get your sweat on with some aerobic exercise to shed the excess fat while engaging in butt-toning strength training exercises. The addition of a healthy, calorie-reduced diet will help you lose excess flab faster as you work to tighten your flabby buns.
Get Rid of Excess Fat
Get your heart pumping with at least 150 minutes per week of aerobic exercise to burn calories and lose excess fat. Work your cardio exercises into your schedule so you can keep your exercise commitment. Three 10-minute aerobic sessions five days per week is just as good as five 30-minute sessions.
Lose the excess flab even faster with interval training. Alternate between four minutes of your regular pace and one minute of an accelerated pace. For example, ride your bike at your normal pace for four minutes, and then pedal fast for one full minute. Repeat the intervals throughout your workout.
Reap double the benefits by performing cardio exercises that also engage your butt muscles. Jog, walk, swim, cycle or do step aerobics for fat loss and a tighter tushy.
Tighten and lift your bottom with walking lunges. Stand with your feet about 6 inches apart and your arms by your side. Hold dumbbells in your hands if you want to add more resistance. Step forward about 2 to 3 feet with your right foot, sinking down until your right thigh is parallel with the floor. Extend your leg behind you but keep the knee slightly bent. Push off the left foot, and take an exaggerated step forward with it to repeat the process on the left side. Do a total of 16 to 24 walking lunges, three times per week.
Do dumbbell stepups for a shapely, toned bottom. Stand in front of a step aerobics platform or the bottom step of a staircase while holding a dumbbell in each hand. Lift your right foot up to the platform, and then follow with the left. Bring the right foot down to the floor first, and then follow with your left foot. Perform this exercise for one to three minutes, three times weekly.
Lift your butt by toning it with Supermans. Lie on your stomach on the floor or a yoga mat. Extend your arms overhead while positioning your legs together with toes pointed. Simultaneously lift your arms, head and legs. Hold the position for 10 to 20 counts. Lower and repeat.
- Plan to see your physician before you start your new weight loss and butt-toning exercise plan.
- Don't reduce your daily calorie intake below 1,200 calories per day. Eating too little can cause your metabolism to slow down, making it harder for your to lose weight.
- American Council on Exercise: Why is the Concept of Spot Reduction Considered a Myth?
- MayoClinic.com: Fitness Training -- Elements of a Well-Rounded Routine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Physical Activity
- Pennsylvania Department of Health: Women and Physical Activity -- The Importance of Strength Training
- American Council on Exercise: Butt & Hip Exercises
- Shape Magazine: Top 10 Moves for a Tighter Tush
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Common-Sense Strategies to Long-Term Weight Loss
- MayoClinic.com: Rev Up Your Workout with Interval Training
- Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
- How to Slim Down Your Stomach With Resistance Bands
- How to Tone the Area Right Below Your Butt
- How to Make Your Butt Bigger & Stay Skinny at the Same Time
- How to Lose Hamstring Fat With Exercises
- Supine Bridge Exercises for the Hips
- Butt-Enhancing Exercises
- How to Do a Side Squat With Dumbbells
- How to Tighten & Grow Your Buttocks & Legs