Walking or jogging up a set of stairs is a quick way to burn calories to help you build a beach-worthy body but, let's face it, not everyone has a set of stairs nearby. Instead, buy a gym membership and get moving on the stair climber. This machine simulates the challenging action of climbing stairs to help you burn calories and shed pounds.
Forget about fad diets or weight-loss pills you see advertised on late-night television. The secret to losing weight is to exercise frequently and consume a healthy diet. By repeatedly burning more calories than you consume -- a process known as a calorie deficit -- you'll lose fat and have reason to smile when you step on the bathroom scale. If you can reach a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories, you'll lose 1 pound of fat, notes MayoClinic.com. This goal is often attainable in a week.
Stair Climber Calories Burned
The heavier you are, the faster you'll burn calories during any activity, including a workout on the stair climber. According to data from HealthStatus, a 140-pound person will burn about 445 calories during 60 minutes of using the stair climber. During a workout of the same length, someone who weighs 180 pounds will burn about 572 calories on the stair climber.
Stair Climber Workout
One session on the stair climber won't have you singing and dancing the next time you step on the bathroom scale, but consistent dedication to this exercise can help you build the results you desire. If possible, aim to spend at least 300 minutes per week performing this workout or, if you can't fit frequent gym visits into your schedule, accomplish the 300-minute goal through a combination of using the stair climber in conjunction with other aerobic exercises, such as jogging.
If weight loss is your primary reason for working out, you'll have better luck reaching your goal if you make changes to your diet. Cutting your calorie intake plays a role in helping your body reach a calorie-deficit phase. You can make healthy diet changes in a number of ways, but methods of quickly reducing the calories you consume include shrinking the size of your meals by 10 percent, removing alcohol and soda from your diet and avoiding foods high in saturated fats.
- MayoClinic.com: Exercise for Weight Loss: Calories Burned in 1 Hour
- MayoClinic.com: Weight Loss: 6 Strategies for Success
- HealthStatus: Calorie Burn Calculator
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: How Much Physical Activity Do Adults Need?
- American Council on Exercise: Trimming Off the Fat
- American College of Sports Medicine: Selecting and Effectively Using a Stair Stepper/Stair Climber
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- Does Jogging Cause Weight Gain?
- Strength Training Exercises for Trimming Fat From the Hips
- How to Lose Pounds With a Stair Stepper
- Ellipticals & Weight Loss Results
- Calorie Restriction & Optimum Nutrition
- The Best Way to Lose Fat With Weight Training, Aerobics & Diet
- How to Lose Your Belly Fat Fast With Interval Workouts
- What Are Net Calories?