If you want to look good in skinny jeans, adding squats to your workout routine is an effective way to round out your figure. According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE), certified fitness professionals recommend squats as the top exercise for firming and toning the backside. Performing single-leg squats with a resistance band isolates one side of the gluteals at a time and increases muscle definition in the lower body.
Step on the resistance band with your feet spread hip-width apart. Adjust your feet to equally distribute the ends of the exercise band in both hands.
Pull your hands up to your hips to create tension in the band. Straighten your back and slightly bend your knees forward. This is the starting position.
Shift your weight to the left foot. Raise your right heel off the ground. Bring your right foot closer to the left if this is more comfortable.
Sit backward as if sitting in a chair. You should feel pressure in your left gluteal as your uplifted right foot adds balance to this posture.
Slowly rise up from the squat position and place your right heel on the ground. Lift your right leg out to the side about 45 degrees or as high as is comfortable for a hip abduction.
Lower the right leg. Return to the starting position with both feet standing on the resistance band.
Repeat on the opposite side of the body so the right leg performs the squat and the left leg abducts. Start with two sets of 10 to 12 repetitions per side if you are a beginner, then progress to three sets of 12 to 15 repetitions.
Items you will need
- Exercise resistance band
- While performing the hip abduction, keep your extended leg low to avoid muscle strain and to maintain balance.
- Too many repetitions of hip abductions can cause muscle strain, lower-back pain and uncomfortable imbalances to your pelvic region.
- JTPhoto/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
- Exercise That Makes Buns & Thighs Bigger
- How to Use a Band Loop During Squats to Eliminate Knee Valgus
- The Best Ways to Tone and Firm Your Glute Muscles
- Glutes & Hip Activation Exercises
- Leg Toning Exercises - Ankle Weights
- A Good Glute Exercise With a Wobble Board
- Stiff-Leg Deadlifts With Dumbbells
- How to Tighten a Stretched Stomach