Whether you have a small butt or a big butt, are you really ever satisfied with it? According to most people, there's always room for more lifting and toning the backside. Since the gluteus maximus functions as a hip extensor, kickbacks are an extremely effective exercise to help shape and firm the butt. If you've decided it's time to get your butt in shape, literally, keep the reps of your kickback exercises high. Three to four sets of 15 to 20 repetitions will give you a nice butt-shaping workout.
Lie on your stomach on the machine with your hands holding the handles, kneeling on one knee with the other leg bent and your foot on the foot plate.
Press through your heel and press the foot plate up until your hip is fully extended. Squeeze your glutes and hold the contraction for one to two seconds; return to the starting position.
Repeat for the required number of repetitions and then perform the exercise on the other side. This exercise primarily works the gluteus maximus.
Resistance Band Kickback
Kneel on one knee and place both of your elbows on the floor. The other knee is off the floor with the thigh vertical. Place a resistance band around the ankle that is on the floor; it should pass behind the knee joint of the raised leg.
Keep your hips square and press the heel of the lifted leg up toward the ceiling until your hip is completely extended. Squeeze your glutes and hold this position for one to two seconds.
Return to the starting position and repeat until you start to feel a good burn in your glutes. Make sure to perform this exercise on both sides.
Stand facing the cable machine on one leg with the free leg attached to an ankle strap of a low cable. Hands are holding the handles and the pelvis is tilted forward.
Keep your hips facing forward at all times. Press the heel of your free leg backward and extend your hip as far as possible. Squeeze your glutes and hold for one to two seconds.
Slowly return to the starting position. Perform all repetitions on both sides.
Items you will need
- Lying kickback machine
- Resistance band
- Cable machine
- To get the most out of these exercises always focus on your form. While you want a weight that is challenging, never sacrifice form for heavy weights.
- Engage your core throughout these exercises to avoid any injury to your lower back.
- Dynamic Graphics/Creatas/Getty Images
- Butt Shaping Exercises Without Weights
- How to Get a Big Butt With Elastic Bands
- Bikini Bottom Workout Routines
- Exercises That Firm Your Gluteus Maximus
- How to Strengthen the Posterior Gluteus Medius
- What Exercise Works Your Abductors?
- How to Use Resistance Bands for the Butt, Waist & Hips
- How to Slim the Calves Using Pilates