If your flabby thighs are making you insecure, kick them into shape with scissor kicks. Although often referred to as a lower abdominal exercise, scissor kicks also target your thigh muscles. Your quadriceps are engaged during standard up-down scissor kicks, while your inner thighs feel the burn during crossover scissor kicks. This exercise won't reduce excess fat from your thighs, so you'll still have to diet and perform a regular exercise routine to achieve that goal. The good news: Once the fat shrinks, your shapely, toned thighs will emerge and your confidence is sure to skyrocket.
Up-Down Scissor Kicks
Lie on your back on the floor, tuck your hands under your tush and straighten your legs.
Tighten your tummy muscles as much as you can to help stabilize your body, point your toes and raise your legs about 2 inches off the floor. Tighten your quadriceps as you hold your legs in this starting position.
Lift your right leg to a 45-degree angle, and as you return it to the starting point, raise your left leg to a 45-degree angle. This is one repetition. Continue scissoring your legs and finish one set of 12 to 16 reps. As your thighs become stronger, add one more set.
Crossover Scissor Kicks
Lie on your back on the floor with your legs straight. Place your hands at your sides and point your toes.
Tighten your tummy muscles to stabilize your body, then raise your legs to a 45-degree angle.
Separate your legs wider than shoulder-width apart, then immediately reverse the motion and cross your right leg over the left. Repeat this crossover motion, but this time bring the left leg over the right. This completes one repetition. Finish 12 to 16 reps to perform one set. Add another set as your thighs get stronger.
- If you want to challenge yourself, wear ankle weights.
- Consult a doctor before taking on a workout routine, especially if you're new to exercise or have an injury or health condition.
- George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- Good Butt & Leg Workout Routines
- How to Work Out the Upper Thighs
- How to Flatten the Bottom of Your Stomach
- Can Exercise Really Tighten Your Butt?
- Toning Legs and Getting Rid of Collected Fat Areas
- What Is a Great Workout Routine to Shrink the Lower Body?
- Butt & Thigh Workout Routine for Women
- Exercises for Flabby Inside Thighs