Purported benefits of Bikram yoga include its effects on skin because the hot temperatures produce sweat, which some claim helps flush toxins out of your body. While this might be true for many people, all that sweating could also dry out your skin, leaving it tight, itchy and flaky. Proper moisturizing helps counteract this problem, allowing you to get the most out of Bikram yoga. If dry skin worsens or doesn't respond to treatment, contact your doctor to rule out a more serious problem.
Drink water before you start your session. This increases the hydration levels of your skin, which helps counteract the loss that occurs when you sweat during Bikram yoga. Bikram Yoga Folsom suggests drinking three to four liters throughout the day you have a session.
Sip water throughout your Bikram yoga session. Grab a drink between poses to help replenish the fluids lost with sweating. Drinking continually helps prevent dehydration by restoring liquid as its lost. Carry a large water bottle to your session and keep it nearby for easy access.
Rinse the sweat off your body immediately following your session. Dermatologist, Debra Jaliman suggests using cool water on sweaty skin before leaving the yoga studio. This helps prevent a variety of skin issues, including irritation and clogged pores. It also helps rehydrate your skin after excessive sweating.
Apply lotion before and after a session. Putting it on before you do Bikram yoga helps keep moisture in your skin as you sweat. After your rinse your skin, apply lotion to your body while it is still damp. This seals in the moisture, allowing your skin to soak it up. Rub the lotion all over your body, paying particular attention to the areas that sweat the most. MayoClinic.com suggests choosing a product with petrolatum. This ingredient soothes dry skin, but also helps prevent moisture from evaporating.
Items you will need
- Some studios prefer that you not wear any scented products before a yoga session, particularly before Bikram yoga, because sweating can intensify the scent. Check with your yoga studio about their policy. Opt for unscented lotion if your instructor prefers.
- On days that you don't have a session, aim to drink 2 or 3 liters of water and apply moisturizer after bathing. This keeps your skin hydrated and moisture levels normal, which helps prevent dehydration during yoga by ensuring that you aren't low on fluids to start with.
- If you currently have any skin conditions, such as eczema, talk to your doctor before starting a Bikram yoga routine. For some people, the practice helps control symptoms, but it might exacerbate the condition for others.
- Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- How to Replenish Sodium After Bikram
- How to Prevent Itching From Running
- How to Prepare for a Bikram Yoga Class
- Metatarsal Stretching Exercises
- How to Sleep Better and Longer
- How to Drink Vinegar Daily to Lose Weight
- The Best Skin Regimen After Bikram Yoga
- How to Apply Heat to Your Muscles Before Stretching