Running is a powerful form of exercise that gets your blood pumping, strengthens your legs and generally leaves you feeling good all over. Well, almost all over. Your eyes may be stinging after your run, thanks to all the sweat that poured down from your forehead. Take a precaution or two to stop sweat in its tracks, so your eyes can enjoy your workout as much as the rest of your body.
Carry a towel and wipe the sweat from your forehead periodically. Hold the towel in your hand or tie it around your waist when you’re not using it.
Wipe your forehead with an article of clothing. This solution isn’t elegant but it may work during a short run or in cooler weather. Wipe the sweat with the cuff of a long-sleeve shirt, or wear wristbands and use them to mop up the excess moisture.
Wear headgear to stop the sweat from reaching your eyes. You’ll find numerous caps, visors and headbands designed specifically to block sweat at your local sporting goods store or running shop. A visor or a hat with a brim does double-duty by keeping the sun out of your eyes. Select headbands or bandanas made from wicking fabric to soak up your sweat.
Apply a line of petroleum jelly or lip balm on your forehead, just above your eyebrows, to divert the sweat to the sides of your face. The sweat will run down your skin but won't cross the line of applied lubricant.
Items you will need
- Long sleeve shirt
- Petroleum jelly or lip balm
- Combine more than one sweat-blocking method to be sure to keep the sweat out of your eyes. For example, you can wear a sweat band and carry a small cloth in your pocket, in case the sweat band becomes too wet.
- Stay hydrated when you’re running to replace the fluids you lose when you sweat.
- CoachLevi.com: How to Keep Sweat Out of Your Eyes
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Triathlon Training; Colin Barr, Steve Katai
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Prevent Your Perm From Sweating Out When You Work Out
- Can Heavy Clothing Be Worn During Workouts or Strenuous Walks & Runs?
- Benefits of Raw Organic Honey
- How to Prevent Itching From Running
- Thigh Rash While Jogging
- How to Get Rid of Chafing on Arms When Running
- How to Sweat a Lot While Running
- The Best Sunglasses for Venting Sweat When Cycling & Running