When time is against you, high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, is your best friend. In a short period of time, this type of training helps improve aerobic and anaerobic fitness, raise metabolism and burn fat faster. If the treadmill is your chosen method, keep it fresh by doing any duration of intense exercise that you wish, followed by periods of rest. One method is to do 30 seconds on, then 90 seconds of rest; however, you can also do one minute on, one minute off, or two minutes on, two minutes off -- it's really up to you.
Warm up by jogging or walking on the treadmill for five to 10 minutes at a slow pace. The point here is to get your muscles warm and your blood flowing, so stop when you've broken a light sweat.
Turn the treadmill speed up to a pace that has you running at about 80 to 95 percent of your maximum output. Monitor the clock and run at this speed for 30 seconds.
Turn the treadmill speed down to a walking pace -- or about 50 percent of your maximum output -- for 90 seconds.
Repeat the process of 30 seconds of 90 percent output and 90 seconds of 50 percent output for a total of eight rounds.
Cool down by setting the treadmill at about 30 percent of your maximum output, and then walk for five minutes.
Items you will need
- Even though the tough portion of this workout is only 16 minutes long, you'll find that it can be extremely challenging. If you're just starting out, do as many rounds as you can and work up to eight rounds over time.
- Due to the intensity of this exercise, it might not be safe for those with heart conditions or other health issues. Talk with your doctor before starting this exercise regimen if you have any health conditions, especially diabetes, heart disease or other cardiovascular issues.
- Chris Clinton/Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Strengthening the Hamstrings on a Treadmill
- How to Convert 220 Yards on a Treadmill
- How to Lose Weight in 60 Days on a Treadmill
- 5K Treadmill Training
- How to Increase Calorie Burn Without Increasing Speed on the Treadmill
- Do Treadmills Help You Lose Saddlebags?
- Rock Bottom Front Squat
- How to Make Your Butt Bigger & Stay Skinny at the Same Time