As if it isn't difficult enough to manage hunger on a normal day, during your period hormones work against you to create cravings and mood swings that lead to a desire to eat more. In many cases, the cravings are for unhealthy foods such as sweets and other high-carb snacks. However, hunger can be managed with planning, healthy eating and exercise.
Eat protein for breakfast. Research from the University of Missouri, published in the journal "Obesity," suggests that a high-protein breakfast helps you feel full longer and reduces your brain's desire to eat as a reward. Eggs have been proven effective for helping you feel sated and controlling weight, according to a study published in the "International Journal of Obesity." Other high-protein breakfast options include protein smoothies and peanut butter on whole-grain toast.
Eat complex carbohydrates. Carbs are not bad for you, despite what many diets suggest. What's bad are sugars and refined carbs. But complex carbs found in whole grains, legumes and fresh fruit and vegetables not only have important nutrients, but supply fiber to help you feel full.
Eat water-rich foods. Like complex carbs, water-rich foods such as watermelon, cranberries, kale, squash and cabbage provide nutrients and fiber to make you feel full, but for very few calories.
Exercise regularly. Exercise can serve as a distraction, as well as help control hunger. Further, exercise can improve your mood. This can counter feelings of depression that sometimes accompany menstruation and lead to emotional eating.
- Human Reproduction: Menstrual Cycle and Appetite Control: Implications for Weight Regulation
- ScienceDaily.com: Eat a Protein-Rich Breakfast to Reduce Food Cravings, Prevent Overeating Later, Researcher Finds
- International Journal of Obesity: Egg Breakfast Enhances Weight Loss
- Pomona College: Nutrition 101
- ScienceDaily.com: Reduce Calories, Stave Off Hunger With Water-Rich Foods -- Not Water
- ABC 7: Eat Water-Rich Foods to Fill Up Fast
- Med-Solver.com: Control Hunger
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Healthy Foods That Satisfy Hunger
- What to Eat in the Morning to Lose Weight
- How to Track Calories & Workouts
- Problems With Consuming Too Few Carbohydrates
- Foods That Increase Serotonin & Induce Sleep
- Does Drinking Water Flatten a Flabby Stomach?
- How Much Should a 180-pound Woman Eat to Lose Weight?
- How Do Carbohydrates Cause Weight Gain?