We all have a fire burning inside of us which we call our metabolism. Just as the flames in a fireplace burn wood, or a similar type of fuel, our bodies burn calories all day, even when we’re sleeping. Of course, if you can stoke your body’s fire and make it burn hotter, you’ll melt away even more calories than usual. The right kind of protein shake, taken at the correct times during the day, can boost your metabolism and help slice away a few extra pounds.
According to personal trainer Lisa Lynn, drinking a whey protein shake for breakfast can boost your metabolism by 25 percent.
Find a protein shake that includes glutamine, or add glutamine to your shake. In a study by Iowa State University, researchers concluded that exercisers who consume glutamine with a post-workout meal continued to burn fat at a greater rate than a control group that didn’t take glutamine. Nutritional biochemist and author Shawn M. Talbott, Ph.D., recommends adding up to 5 grams of glutamine to a post-workout whey protein shake.
Drink a protein shake immediately after a workout. When your body is recovering from a workout, the protein you ingest is used for muscle recovery and won’t be stored as fat.
- Whey protein burns more calories than either casein or soy protein, according to a 2011 study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."
- Consult your doctor before making major changes in your diet.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- How to Use Flaxseed Meal
- What Are the Benefits of Taking Whey Protein?
- The Best Exercise for Firm Chest Muscles
- How to Become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- How to Make Metabolism Increase and Burn Fat
- How to Lose Your Belly Fat Fast With Interval Workouts
- How to Lose Upper Inner Thigh Fat
- How to Wear a Hydration Belt