Do the backs of your arms continue to flap in the breeze long after you've stopped waving your hands? If so, you may want to strengthen the triceps muscle. One way to tone and strengthen your triceps is with an exercise called a dip. You do not need a weight bench to perform this exercise. A sturdy and stable kitchen chair will do the trick. So pull up a seat for this effective arm exercise.
Sit in a chair. Bend your knees. Place your feet hip-distance apart and flat on the floor.
Straighten your spine to sit as tall as possible. Flatten your stomach to support your back by pulling your belly button toward your spine. Look straight ahead to protect your neck.
Bend your elbows and place your hands on the arm rests of the chair. Face your palms toward you and wrap your thumbs around the arms of the chair. Keep your shoulders pulled down away from your ears.
Exhale, straighten your arms and lift your butt off the chair seat.
Inhale, bend your elbows and lower your body. Aim to bend your elbows until your upper arms are parallel with the floor or you feel a slight stretch across your chest.
Keep tension in the triceps by not resting completely on the chair at the bottom of the dip.
Repeat the dip eight to 12 times. Rest for 60 seconds and complete a second set.
Items you will need
- Sturdy chair with arm rests
- If you feel a limited range of motion using the arms of the chair, wrap your hands around the front edge of the seat. Point your fingers toward the floor. Position your hands shoulder-distance apart. Slide your hips off the chair and lower your hips toward the floor as you bend your elbows into the dip.
- Speak with your doctor before you perform strengthening exercises. If you experience any elbow or back discomfort, stop the exercise.
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- How to Do Single Arm Lateral Raises
- Rowing Exercises for the Arms
- Door Shoulder Stretch
- Instructions for Seated Dip Exercise
- Side Lying Quad Stretch
- Stretches for Upper Back Shoulder Tension
- How to Target Your Armpits With Dumbbells
- What Muscles Do You Feel Stretching When Performing a Butterfly Stretch?