Whether you are trying to fit into a favorite pair of skinny jeans or getting ready for bikini season, toning up your butt requires you to take on a multifaceted approach to weight loss. Instead of attempting to spot reduce one area, implement healthy lifestyle choices with a good diet and regular cardiovascular exercise to burn fat. Twice a week perform strength training exercises, like chair pose, walking lunges and step ups. Leave at least one day in between strength training sessions for muscle recuperation.
Stand up tall with a straight spine and your feet together.
Bend your knees and sit back deeply as if you were about to sit on a chair. Keep shifting your hips back and down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
Extend your arms over your head, palms facing each other. Roll your shoulders back and open your chest. Keep your gaze looking straight forward.
Hold chair pose for 30 seconds to one minute, working your way up to three rounds.
Step Up, Kick Backs
Stand directly in front of an aerobics step, step stool or sturdy chair. Place your hands on your hips.
Step onto the ledge with your right foot and activate your glutes -- butt muscles -- to help you rise up to a standing position on top of the ledge. Pull your left knee into your chest.
Hinge forward at the waist and kick your left leg behind you as high as you can. Lower your left leg down to the floor and place your right foot beside it. This completes one repetition.
Perform 12 to 15 repetitions on each leg, working your way up to three sets.
Dumbbell Walking Lunges
Stand up tall with a straight spine, holding a light dumbbell in each hand. Place your feet hip-width apart.
Step forward with your right foot until your right thigh is parallel to the ground and your knee is bent to 90 degrees. Simultaneously, drop your back knee until it almost touches the floor.
Press off the ball of your left foot and step forward with your left leg. Take a large step in front of the right leg and bend your left knee to 90 degrees. Continue walking forward by lunging for 15 to 20 paces. Perform three sets.
Items you will need
- 2 2- to 5-pound dumbbells
- Aerobic step, step stool or sturdy chair
- Choose cardiovascular activities that engage the butt muscles in rhythmic, aerobic activity, such as swimming, elliptical training, running and cycling.
- Speak to your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine.
- Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- Deep Inner Thigh Yoga Stretches & Pregnancy
- Butt & Thigh Workout Routine for Women
- Step-by-Step Instructions for Butt & Ab Exercises With No Equipment
- Power Yoga Poses for Trimming Thighs
- Women's Midriff Exercises
- Abdominal Exercise While Sitting
- Basic Yoga Routines
- How to Strengthen Your Hip and Thigh Core Muscles