Brussels sprouts resemble miniature cabbage heads, so it's no surprise that they are part of the cabbage family. This vegetable is rich in the minerals sulfur, potassium and calcium and vitamins A and B-1. While it better to eat whole Brussels sprouts and other vegetables regularly to get essential plant fiber, you may try juicing them as well for health benefits. Fresh Brussels sprout juice is rich in minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients, which are beneficial plant chemicals.
Prepare the Brussels sprouts for juicing by washing them with warm water and cutting off the hard bottom stalks or base of each one. Remove any dead or damaged leaves.
Juice the Brussels sprouts using an electric juicer. Feed one to four whole pieces into the feeding chute of the juicer. Press the plunger down firmly to juice the Brussels sprouts.
Juice more Brussels sprouts until you have a full glass of fresh juice. The plant fiber will collect in a waste container and the light green juice will trickle into the glass.
Unplug the juicer and remove the full glass of Brussels sprouts juice. Drink the fresh juice immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to a day.
Items you will need
- Cutting board
- You can juice Brussels sprouts along with other fresh vegetables such as tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers to add more sweetness and flavor to the juice.
- Do not add salt to your fresh juice, instead flavor with lemon juice or spices such as cinnamon or black pepper, if desired.
- Vegetable juices count as one of the three to four daily recommended servings of vegetables, however, they should not replace eating whole vegetables everyday. Essential dietary plant fiber is lost during juicing.
- Fresh juices can become contaminated with bacteria; it is best to drink the juice immediately. If you must store it, keep the juice in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to a day.
- You may want to mix your Brussels sprout juice with apple juice, for example, to prevent possible gastric upset.
- PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images