Adding flaxseed meal to your favorite dishes will not only add variety to your meals, but will also improve their nutritive value. Flaxseed intake is also beneficial for health as it prevents constipation, reduces risk of heart diseases by lowering LDL and total cholesterol levels and provides protection against some forms of cancer. While whole flaxseeds are indigestible, once ground you can avail the benefits of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and lignans present in flaxseed meal. You can use store-bought flaxseed meal or make it at home by grinding flaxseeds in your coffee grinder.
Use a teaspoon of flaxseed meal to flavor and garnish your ready-to-eat foods such as breakfast cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, salads, dressings, dips, salsa and even ice cream.
Make your lunch sandwich more nutritious by adding some flaxseed meal to your spreads such as mayonnaise or mustard.
Mix a tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water and let it thicken for two to three minutes. Use this quantity to replace one egg in baking recipes such as muffins, pancakes, waffles and cookies.
Include flaxseed meal as an ingredient when baking other foods such as breads and cinnamon buns.
Add some flaxseed meal when making casseroles, pasta, meatloaves, sauces and rice dishes to increase the nutritive value of your meals.
Blend flaxseed meal with fruit, honey and milk to make a fiber-rich smoothie.
Give your meal a nutty flavor by coating uncooked fish and chicken with a mixture of flaxseed meal, breadcrumbs and spices before baking.
Items you will need
- Coffee grinder
- It is best to grind only enough flaxseed meal for your immediate needs, as the omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed meal tend to spoil when exposed to light and heat. Store unused flaxseed meal in the refrigerator or freezer to preserve its freshness.
- You can even replace some fat in your recipes by using flaxseed meal instead of oil, margarine or butter, according to the Flax Council of Canada. However, you may need to adjust cooking time, as foods using flaxseed meal in place of fat may brown faster.
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
- How to Boost Metabolism with Protein Shakes to Lose Weight
- Step Ups With a Knee Raise
- How to Bake With Fructose
- How to Create High-Fiber Juice
- How to Replace Bread With Starchy Vegetables & Whole Grains
- Lunge Exercises to Open Up Hips & Relieve Backaches
- Meals With Tofu
- How to Boost Immunity With Cayenne Pepper