Shaping your butt can be done through toning your gluteal muscles and burning fat. The treadmill can be an effective means to help you do both of these things. If you really want to whip your butt into shape and look great in no time at all, incorporate fat-burning, calorie-blasting treadmill exercises into your workout regimen.
The Glutes and Running
Your buttocks consist of three muscles collectively known as the gluteal muscles, or glutes for short. The three muscles are the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. One way to tone these muscles and shape your butt is by running. When you run, your glutes have numerous functions in helping your legs perform these motions and are working at a much faster speed than if you were walking.
Another way to shape your butt is through this 20-minute hill walking workout that you can do on a treadmill. The treadmill speed should stay at 4 mph, but the incline percentage will change throughout your rate of perceived exertion, or RPE. For the first five minutes of the workout increase the incline to 3 or 3.5 percent at an RPE of five. The next two minutes will require you to raise the incline more, between 8 and 10 percent with an RPE of seven. For the next minute, drop the incline to between 4 and 6 percent with an RPE of six. Increase the incline to 10 percent with an RPE of eight for the following two minutes. Bring the incline down between 5 and 7 percent for one minute with an RPE of seven. Increase the incline again for the next two minutes to 12 percent with an RPE of nine. Drop the incline slightly to 10 percent for the next minute and decrease your RPE to eight. Push through the next minute with an incline of 12 percent and an RPE of nine. For the last five minutes start to cool down and bring the incline down to between 2 and 4 percent with an RPE of five.
HIIT Treadmill Workout
HIIT, or high intensity interval training, treadmill workouts are another way to get your butt in shape. Not only can an HIIT workout tone your gluteal muscles, but it’s an intense cardio workout that will help you burn fat. HIIT workouts on the treadmill consist of alternating between high- and low-intensity exercises. You can make your HIIT workout whatever you want it to be, but an example workout would be to alternate between one minute of running at full speed and 30 seconds of walking, for a total workout time of 20 to 30 minutes.
You can also use a treadmill to shape your butt by doing walking lunges, side lunges and skateboard lunges. For walking and side lunges, set the treadmill to a slow walking pace and do them as you would normally do them on solid ground. Skateboard lunges are a little trickier but can be beneficial to your gluteal muscles. Firmly place one foot on the rear of the side platform of the treadmill and then lunge forward with the opposite foot and ride the belt all the way back, simulating pushing a skateboard. After your desired number of reps, switch legs.
While these exercises can help tone your gluteal muscles and make your butt look great, a key component of shaping any part of your body is a healthy diet. To lose the unwanted fat on your butt, you should reduce the number of calories you consume each day. Consider replacing unhealthy, high-fat snacks with plant-based snacks like fruits and vegetables.
- The Journal of Experimental Biology 209: The human gluteus maximus and its role in running; Daniel E. Lieberman, David A. Raichlen, Herman Pontzer, Dennis M. Bramble and Elizabeth Cutright-Smith
- Fitness Magazine: The 20-Minute, Glute-Sculpting Treadmill Routine
- StevePFiester.com: Treadmill Challenge
- Brian Mac Sports Coach: Gluteal Muscles
- MayoClinic.com: Metabolism and Weight Loss: How You Burn Calories
- AceFitness.org: Side Lunge
- BuiltLean.com: High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Best Cardio to Burn Fat
- Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
- Incline Walking Exercises
- How to Do Sprints on a Treadmill
- The Best Treadmill Interval Workout
- How to Get Bigger Calves From a Treadmill
- How to Lose 10 Lbs With a Treadmill Workout
- Can Walking on Your Tiptoes Help Butt Muscles When Walking on the Treadmill?
- Can Walking on a Treadmill Make Your Butt Bigger Without an Incline?
- Can You Burn More Calories on a Small Trampoline Than a Treadmill?