You don't have to live with loose facial and neck skin. Whether from simple aging or significant weight loss, toning the face and neck does not necessarily require drastic measures. Facial yoga purports to stretch and strengthen face and neck muscles to produce firmer, younger-looking skin. For best results, practice your facial yoga exercises morning and evening, though doing them throughout the day is also an option. Expect to start seeing results after two weeks of practice.
To diminish lines on your neck and firm the skin, perform an exercise called the Gulping Fish. Start with your hand at the base of your throat, stretched across your collarbone. Keeping your hand down, lead with your chin and extend your neck upward, stretching only your bottom jaw. Without swallowing, reach your bottom lip toward the ceiling, imitating the gulping motion of a fish. "Gulp" 10 times, then switch hands and repeat for a total of five sets.
Use the Upper Eyelid Stretch to firm loose or wrinkled skin above your eyelids. Place your index fingers just under your eyebrows, close your eyes and stretch your upper eyelids downward. Hold them down for 10 counts, then repeat five times.
Reduce frown lines with the Pout pose. Place your index fingers on the corners of your mouth, pull the corners of your mouth down and form a pout with your lips. Hold the pose for a count of five, then repeat 10 times. Note that you might feel a pull in your neck muscles as you perform the exercise.
Alleviate crow's feet, also known as laugh lines, by squeezing your eyes closed and placing your thumbs at the corner of each eye. With your fingers resting on top of your head, slide your thumbs from the corners toward your temples. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
Items you will need
- Moisturize your face and neck before performing these exercises to help your hands glide across your skin.
- If you've already had facial cosmetic surgery or Botox injections, you can still perform face and neck yoga exercises, but muscles can be hard to move directly after treatment. Consult your doctor if you feel any discomfort or pain.
- Digital Vision/Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Yoga Exercises That Help Increase Sexual Stamina
- Quadratus Lumborum Muscle Stretches
- Bikram Yoga Poses: The Half Tortoise Pose
- Eyebrow Exercises
- The Proper Way to Stretch Your Hips for Straddles
- How to Stretch Out the Muscles of the Chest & Ribcage
- Stretches for Opening Your Shoulder With a Foam Roller
- Stretching Exercises for a Strained Lower Lat Muscle