The Medical Technologist, or MT, Certification Exam is an online test created by the American Medical Technologists, or AMT, and administered by Pearson VUE. The exam is used to determine whether you have the right stuff to be a competent, certified, entry-level medical technologist. Studying for the MT Certification Exam is like studying for other exams; it requires a lot of time and hard work. But, it's well worth the effort when you get that passing score and are one step closer to being certified as a medical technologist. The test is complicated, but with the right prep work, you can knock it out of the ballpark.
Apply to AMT after you have completed a qualified training program. Submit your application and fee to AMT. Applications and fee information can be downloaded or found on the AMT website.
Download the MT Certification Exam candidate handbook, content outline of the exam and list of reference materials from the AMT website. The handbook provides all the details about the examination process, including policies and procedures you need to keep in mind.
Buy or check out the items found on the list of reference materials you downloaded. These books, publications and other resources will be infinitely useful in studying for the exam.
Buy or check out an MT Certification Exam study aid from your local bookstore or library. Good study guides will thoroughly cover each of the six exam categories --chemistry; hematology; immunology and immunohematology; microbiology, focusing on bacteriology, parasitology, and mycology; general laboratory knowledge and procedures and urinalysis -- as well as each category's list of subtopics.
Go through all the study materials -- the handbook, reference materials and study aid -- highlighting the key facts and figures, as well as items you need to research or review further.
Create MT Certification Exam index cards. Write key terms and important questions on one side of the card, and definitions or answers in the back. Separate the index cards by exam category to make for easier studying.
Review and memorize each index card, moving cards that you successfully define or answer aside as you continue to cycle through ones you need to study further.
Take a number of practice tests before sitting for the actual MT Certification Exam. Practice tests can typically be found in study guides, or they may be downloaded online. Continue taking practice exams until you consistently score at least a passing grade.
Items you will need
- MT Certification Exam candidate handbook
- Content outline of the exam
- Reference materials
- MT Certification Exam study aid
- Practice tests
- Turn studying the index cards into a game, playing with others you know who are taking the MT Certification Exam.
- American Medical Technologists: Prepare for Exam
- American Medical Technologists: Take Exam
- American Medical Technologists: Certification Exam
- Medical Technologist Examination Content Guideline
- Yahoo!: How to Prepare for the Medical Technologist Certification Exam
- Test Prep Review: Medical Technologist Test Information
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Become a Certified Proofreader
- Certified Nursing Assistant Practice Tests
- What Classes Do I Need to Take to Become a Doctor?
- How to Paste a Resume Online
- How to Pass Employment Assessment Tests
- Preparation Materials for the Accredited Business Valuation Certification Examination
- How Do I Renew My CNA License If I Have Not Worked?
- What to Study for Pharmacy Tech Exam