Short-burst exercising means high-intensity workouts that raise your heart rate, followed by minimal rest between sets. Raising the beats per minute of your heart is the most efficient means of burning calories to reduce the volume of fat cells, which is the foundation to losing weight. In addition, short-burst exercising improves your short- and long-term health in ways longer, low-intensity workouts don't. Time efficiency is a profitable benefit of short, high-intensity workouts, but the fact that each workout demands more of you and therefore produces greater results is the principal reason for short-burst exercising.
Increase the intensity of your workouts with maximum stress exercises, exercises that push you to failure. Increase your pace and the amount of weight; run faster and lift heavier. Keep each set -- interval -- between 30 and 60 seconds. For example, as opposed to jogging for an hour, do 10 sprints of 250 meters. Shorten the time between sets to intensify your workout. Do 10 sets of pushups -- as many reps as you can do in a minute during each set -- with only three minutes between sets, for example. Do more sets with heavier weight, which means fewer reps per set. Do five sets of bench presses, each set consisting of 15 reps, as opposed to doing three sets of 20 each, for example.
Stay in motion. Remain moving between your high intensity intervals. Separate maximum stress intervals with minimum stress exercises. For example, between sprint intervals, walk at a quick pace; or ride the stationary bike between sets of bench press.
Work out whole muscle groups to raise the intensity of your workouts by forcing your heart to pump oxygen to large areas. Avoid cosmetic lifts such as bicep curls and calf raises that do very little to raise your heart rate. Use free weights and do power lifts -- exercises that work out entire muscle groups, not parts of groups. Do squats, for example, which work out your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles as opposed to leg extensions on a machine that works out only your lower thighs. Another example is to do cleans, which work out your entire back, as opposed to using a rowing machine, which works out only the upper and outer areas of your back.
- Consult a doctor before beginning any type of workout program for assurance that you are fit to exercise.
- IDEA: Short-Burst Training
- RXList.com: Workout Slideshow: The 30-Minute Workout Routine
- BodyBuilding.com: Short Burst Fat loss Breakthrough
- Natural News: Short Bursts of Intense Exercise Just as Healthy as Long-Duration Exercise
- DailyMail.co.uk: The Two-Minute Workout Works Wonders: Short, Sharp Bursts of Exercise Are Just as Good as a 90 Minute Run
- Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images
- Easy Exercises to Tone Back Fat at Home
- How to Glide While Walking
- Ways to Lose Twenty Pounds by Walking
- Calisthenics Exercise Routines
- How to Do Situps Without Anchoring Your Feet
- The Best Foods to Eat to Lose Belly Fat
- Full Body Workout Regimen for Burning Fat
- How to Do Upper Body Workouts on Consecutive Days