You've been working hard to peel off the pounds and get a lean, toned body. Now if only you could lose that last tiny fat roll. Losing the last few pounds can be challenging, especially if you've hit a weight-loss plateau. Break through the plateau and get rid of the last bit of fat by upping the ante on your workout and making sure you're not doing anything to sabotage your progress.
Surprise Your Body
Believe it or not, your body adjusts to the workouts you're performing. To lose that extra roll of fat, you might have to mix things up a bit. Increase the intensity of your movement when you jog, bike, swim or play a game of tennis. Try a new fat-burning activity, such as a Zumba or spin class. As you try something different, engaging other muscles, you will find that your body seems to kick back into gear so you can lose that last bit of weight.
Incorporate Interval Training
Increased calorie burn during your workouts can help you shed that annoying fat roll clinging to your body. Get your heart pumping and increase oxygen flow through your body by adding faster spurts of movement into your workout. You can incorporate intervals into many different forms of aerobic exercise, such as bike riding, jogging, rope jumping or swimming. For every three to five minutes of moderate-paced activity, follow with 30 seconds to two minutes of faster-paced movement. Doing interval training three times per week can help you torch fat as you burn more calories.
Strength-training exercises may be the last thing on your mind as you stress over how to get rid of fat, but doing them can help you get leaner and burn more calories. As you build muscle mass, your body becomes more efficient at burning calories, which helps you to lose weight. Do strength-training moves two to three times per week with dumbbells, kettlebells or exercise machines to challenge your muscles.
Watching your calorie consumption and the contents of your diet can help you get rid of that last couple pounds of fat. A reduction of 250 to 500 calories each day will help you lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Be sure not to fall below 1,200 calories no matter how tempting it might be to skip meals because doing so can make it difficult to lose weight. Avoid sugary drinks, such as soda and fruit juice, which can add to fat in the belly area. Likewise, be mindful of hidden calories that can add up to overeating without even knowing it. Steer clear of cream-based anything and go for mustard on your sandwich instead of mayo.
- Oprah.com: 7 Ways to Pass Your Weight Loss Plateau
- Mayo Clinic: Getting Past a Weight Loss Plateau
- Mayo Clinic: Rev Up Your Workout with Interval Training
- MedicineNet.com: Get More Burn From Your Workout
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Common-Sense Strategies to Long-Term Weight Loss
- HelpGuide.org: Healthy Weight Loss & Dieting Tips
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- With the Bicycle Crunch How Long Does It Take to Tighten the Stomach?
- Which Burns More Calories: Running or Dance Routines?
- Does Drinking Water Flatten a Flabby Stomach?
- Kapalbhati Yoga & Weight Loss
- The Best Foods to Eat to Lose Belly Fat
- How to Blast Away Belly Fat
- What Forms of Exercise Help You to Lose Weight in Your Thighs & Butt?
- Exercise Tips for a Flat Stomach