The pec dec butterfly, which is done while you're sitting in a pec dec machine, can combat the effects of gravity on your lady bumps. If you're not in the mood to go to the gym, or if another person is hogging the machine, mimic this exercise with a set of dumbbells. You'll probably get a better workout, because unlike the machine, which helps control and balance the weight, dumbbells leave it all up to you, resulting in more muscle engagement and a greater range of motion. Now stop sulking and start flying your way to perkier breasts.
Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lie with your thighs, tush, back, shoulders and head on a flat bench. Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor.
Extend your arms straight up to the ceiling above your chest and turn your hands so your palms face each other. Keep your wrists straight and slightly bend your elbows.
Tighten your tummy muscles to stabilize your body, and then slowly lower your arms out to your sides until they're parallel to the floor. Hold this position for one second.
Raise your arms slowly to the beginning position and squeeze your chest muscles for one second at the top of the exercise. Imagine giving someone a big bear hug during the upward motion. Complete eight to 12 dumbbell flyes and finish two or three sets.
- Inhale as you separate the dumbbells, and exhale as you bring them toward each other.
- Do this exercise with dumbbells that are heavy enough so the last repetition of each set is a struggle to complete.
- To target the upper part of your chest, do dumbbell flyes on an incline bench, and to emphasize the lower part, use a bench set at a decline.
- Consult a physician before beginning a new strength-training regimen, especially if you have an injury or medical condition.
- Muscle Mag Fitness: Pec Deck Butterly Fly
- The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises; Adam Campbell
- Bodybuilding a Realistic Approach; Frank A. Melfa
- American Council on Exercise: Lying Dumbbell Pec Fly
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: How Much Physical Activity Do Adults Need?
- Your Best Bust: In Minutes a Day; Cyndi Targosz
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- The Best Exercise for Firm Chest Muscles
- How to Stretch Sore Arms After Disc Golf
- Door Shoulder Stretch
- Incline Fly Chest Exercises
- What Muscles Do You Feel Stretching When Performing a Butterfly Stretch?
- Chest Exercises for Obese Women With Dumbbells
- How to Simulate Rowing With Exercise Bands
- Rock Bottom Front Squat