Make licorice root tea at home to enjoy a sweet-flavored, hot beverage with potential health benefits. The root of the licorice plant used for tea preparation is either peeled or unpeeled and comes chopped in small pieces. It's a naturally caffeine-free, herbal tea with a subtle licorice flavor. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, drinking licorice root tea may relieve indigestion, cough, colds and respiratory issues.
Boil enough water to make your desired amount of tea.
Measure about 1 tablespoon of licorice root per cup of tea you would like to make.
Place measured licorice root into tea infuser, tea pot or french press. If using a tea infuser, place it into your mug after you have filled it.
Pour appropriate amount of boiling water into mug, tea pot or press.
Place lid on tea pot or press.
Let sit, or steep, for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove tea infuser from mug, or leave in mug for a stronger flavor. If using a tea pot, pour tea through a strainer into your mug. If using a french press, depress strainer and pour tea into mug.
Items you will need
- Licorice root
- Tea ball infuser, tea pot and tea strainer or french press
- If you enjoy a stronger flavor, add a little more root to your brew or boil the licorice root in water on the stove top for 5 to 10 minutes and strain the hot tea before drinking. Licorice root is naturally sweet, but you can add a little honey and lemon juice to give your tea more flavor.
- If you have high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease, consult your health care provider prior to drinking licorice root tea. In large amounts, licorice root tea may cause headaches, fatigue or water retention.
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Licorice
- Food Lover's Companion; Sharon Tyler Herbst
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- How to Really Get a Cayenne Tea to Taste Good
- How to Juice Alfalfa Sprouts for Hair
- How to Boost Immunity With Cayenne Pepper
- How to Juice Pineapple Skin
- How to Apply Heat to Your Muscles Before Stretching
- How to Drink Vinegar Daily to Lose Weight
- How to Juice Elderberries
- How to Bake With Stevia Instead of Sugar