Nothing looks better in shorts or a mini-skirt than a nice set of legs. The lying hamstring curl primarily targets the hamstring muscles. Adding the lying leg curl into your workout program can help you tone up and even minimize the appearance of that dreaded cottage cheese that tends to appear in the butt and hamstring area. Perform three to four sets of 15 to 20 repetitions of this exercise for toning purposes.
Lie on your stomach on the bench with your legs extended and ankles positioned under the ankle pads. Hold the handles for added support.
Flex your feet and bend both knees, lifting the heels up toward your glutes. Keep the hips on the bench throughout this movement and avoid lifting your butt in the air. Squeeze your hamstrings at the top of the movement.
Slowly extend your legs and lower the ankle pads back to the starting position.
Repeat the movement for 15 to 20 repetitions and perform three to four sets.
Items you will need
- Lying Leg Curl Machine
- The exercise can also be performed on a bench holding a dumbbell between the ankles if you do not have access to a leg curl machine.
- Incorporating the lying leg curl exercise into your workout routine helps tone and sculpt your legs. However, to get optimal results, regular cardio and a healthy well-balanced diet are also critical.
- Select a load that is challenging for you but not so heavy you begin lifting your hips off the bench or swinging the weight around. Doing so can increase the risk of injury to both your lower back and hamstrings.
- ExRx.net: Lever Lying Leg Curl
- Strength Training Anatomy - Second Edition; Frederic Delavier
- Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images
- Exercises for Strong Ankles & Feet
- Stretching Your Calf Muscles When Sitting Down
- What Muscles Do You Feel Stretching When Performing a Butterfly Stretch?
- Side Lying Quad Stretch
- Powerlifting for Legs
- How to Improve Balance for Lunges
- How to Do Decline Sit Ups & Work All Ab Muscles
- How to Make Your Butt Bigger & Stay Skinny at the Same Time