Walking isn't a major calorie burner, so going for a 12-minute daily walk isn't going to be a weight-loss miracle. But if you're patient, walking can help you lose weight over time. Stick with this daily routine and cut back your calories to shed 25 pounds without working up a major sweat.
Estimate the number of calories that you burn from your walks. According to the website of the Harvard Medical School, walking burns approximately 100 calories per mile. For example, if you walk at a speed of 4 miles per hour, you'll travel 0.8 miles in 12 minutes, burning 80 calories in the process. The actual number will vary depending on your weight. Use a heart rate monitor with a calorie-counting feature to get a more precise figure.
Cut back your calorie intake to create a calorie deficit of 500 to 1,000 calories per day. According to the McKinley Health Center, this is a healthy calorie deficit for safe weight loss. For example, if you burn 100 calories a day from walking, you'll need to cut back your intake by 400 to 900 calories.
Calculate how long it will take to lose 25 pounds. Divide 87,500 -- the number of calories equal to 25 pounds -- by your daily calorie deficit to get the number of days it will take you to lose the weight. For example, if your daily deficit is 500, you would divide 87,500 by 500 to get 175 -- meaning you'll need to maintain this regimen for 175 days to lose 25 pounds.
Items you will need
- Heart rate monitor
- Be sure to meet you minimum calorie requirements. According to the McKinley Health Center, women should never cut their calories below 1,200 per day unless it's part of a medically supervised diet.
- BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
- Walking Workouts to Lose Weight
- Figuring Out the Time on a Treadmill With a Set Speed
- How to Lose 20 Pounds by Walking & Jogging in Three Months
- How Many Calories Will Walking Four Miles Per Day Burn?
- What Are the Benefits of Walking for the Intestinal Tract?
- How High Is Heart Rate When Walking Around?
- How to Lose 2 Pounds a Week Walking
- How to Burn Calories by Walking With a Weighted Backpack