Exercise lowers your blood sugar, regardless of whether you have diabetes or are in good overall health. When your blood sugar goes down, you'll start feeling weak or dizzy -- not very conducive to working out -- or you might experience headaches or blurred vision. Additionally, low blood sugar can also elevate your heart rate, making it difficult for you to stay in the right heart range to achieve your goals. If you start experiencing any of these symptoms, it might be time to step off the treadmill for a few minutes and work on leveling off your blood sugar.
Sip a sports drink or energy drink that contains sugar instead of just sipping water during your workout. You can also mix half a bottle of a sports drink with half a bottle of water to avoid getting too much sugar, as it can be a bad thing if you're trying to lose weight.
Bring a snack along, such as an energy or protein bar -- just make sure you read labels and pick something that contains carbohydrates, which will help keep your blood sugar up. Ideally, you should have a snack that contains between 15 and 30 grams of carbohydrate, according to Group Health Cooperative. If you have diabetes, you might need to have a snack every 30 minutes while you're exercising. If your blood sugar is normal when you're not exercising, you might do well with just a quick snack once during your workout -- try different things to see what works for you.
Bring a few pieces of hard candy with you. If you start experiencing any of the symptoms of low blood sugar, such as dizziness or headaches, slow down your workout and have a piece of candy. Wait for a few minutes and see if you start feeling better. If not, try an additional piece of candy.
- If you're experiencing quick and severe drops in blood sugar, talk to your doctor. You might have diabetes or need to adjust your diet in order to avoid these episodes from happening in the first place.
- PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- 1,200-Calorie Healthy Eating Plan
- Food to Keep Your Blood Sugar Down
- What Is Something Sweet That Is Healthy?
- Weight Loss Grocery List
- Healthy Snacks to Replace Chips
- Healthy & Satisfying Snacks
- 1,500-Calorie Vegetarian Eating Plan
- Can Yogurt and Oatmeal Be Combined Together to Create a Healthy Lunch?