Hair loss and thinning is a common and frustrating problem for both men and women. The American Academy of Dermatology notes that you can lose hair for a number of reasons, including genetics, hormone imbalances, illness, medications, and diet. Getting the right nutrients may not prevent hair loss, but it is important for healthy hair. Alfalfa sprout juice combined with other vegetable juices may help improve hair growth. Alfalfa is a legume that is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid, zinc, silicon, vitamins A, B complex, C, E and K and other nutrients that are important for your hair and skin.
Cut off the roots of the alfalfa sprouts and remove any dead or decaying leaves and stems. Place the alfalfa sprout in a sieve with fine holes and wash them with warm water.
Set up the juicer and turn it on. Place a handful of alfalfa sprouts into the juicer's feeding chute and press the plunger down slowly but firmly until it is fully compressed.
Add another bunch of alfalfa sprouts into the feeder and continue juicing. You will need a large amount of alfalfa to produce one glass of juice. Use at least 15 to 20 hand-size bunches of alfalfa sprouts.
Combine the alfalfa juice with equal parts carrot and lettuce juice. Use dark green lettuce such as Romaine for its higher nutrient content.
- Sprout your own alfalfa by planting seeds in a pot placed on your windowsill. For more fresh juice, juice the sprouts soon after harvesting or purchasing them.
- Keep the left-over leaves and plant material produced by juicing alfalfa sprouts and add them to pastas and stews for its fiber content.
- Juice fresh carrots, lettuce and other vegetables and fruits along with the alfalfa sprouts if desired.
- Turn off and unplug the juicer before you open it or remove the juice container from it. Handle blades with caution.
- Drink fresh vegetable juice as soon as possible after juicing it or store it in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to two days. This helps prevent it from becoming contaminated with bacteria that can make you ill.
- If you have sudden hair loss, consult your doctor to determine the cause.
- Alfalfa sprout juice and other vegetable juices are rich in nutrients that are beneficial for general health, but they have not been proven to prevent or treat hair loss.
- Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images