Metabolism, which is a process that includes how your body converts food into energy, naturally slows down as you age. In fact, metabolism declines by an average of 2 percent per decade beginning at age 20 in women. After a full night of sleeping, your metabolism is moving at its slowest rate when you first wake up. However, you can take some steps to increase your metabolism throughout the day but especially in the morning.
Drink 2 cups of cold water when you first wake up. Water can help raise your metabolic rate by approximately 30 percent for up to an hour. Drinking cold water may also make your body use more energy to warm it.
Eat breakfast. Consume a meal within 45 minutes to 1 hour of waking. This will wake up your metabolism and get it working at a higher rate. Choose food that is high in protein. Your body uses seven times more energy digesting protein over fats or carbohydrates.
Add paprika or chili powder to your breakfast. Capsaicin, an ingredient in chili peppers, may increase your metabolic rate by 23 percent.
Do yoga or other cardiovascular exercises in the morning. Yoga can double your metabolic rate first thing in the morning, according to Dr. Oz. A study published in a 2011 issue of “Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise” found that cardiovascular exercise, such as cycling, for 45 minutes can increase your metabolism for 14 hours.
Drink green tea or other caffeinated beverages. Caffeine activates your nervous system and keeps your metabolic rate going. Green tea, which not only contains caffeine, also has polyphenols, which can help speed up your metabolism. A study published in the December 1999 issue of "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that green tea significantly increased energy expenditure.
- Consult your physician before you change your diet or start a new exercise program.
- Oprah.com: Dr. Oz Reveals How to Rev Up Your Metabolism All Day Long
- Core Performance: How to Boost Your Metabolism
- Duke University: Nutrition Tips
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise: A 45-Minute Vigorous Exercise Bout Increases Metabolic Rate for 14 Hours
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Efficacy of a Green Tea Extract Rich in Catechin Polyphenols and Caffeine in Increasing 24-h Energy Expenditure and Fat Oxidation in Humans
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Boost Energy During a Workout
- Why Do Cold Temperatures Slow Down Your Metabolism?
- How to Make Metabolism Increase and Burn Fat
- How to Digest Protein Better
- Tips to Speed Up Metabolism
- Why Is It Good to Exercise Before Bed?
- How to Get Energy Back After a Morning Run
- How to Get a Flat Stomach in 5 Minutes