Adding mushrooms to your meal plan benefits your health as well as the taste of your dishes. An article in the November 2010 issue of "Nutrition Bulletin" stated that mushroom consumption helps reduce your risk of cancer and lowers blood sugar and cholesterol. Fat-free and low in carbs and calories, mushrooms are a safe addition to any diet plan. They are easily added to many foods you may already be eating, so do your body a favor and start incorporating mushrooms into your diet today.
Purchase mushrooms from your local grocery or health-food store. For light mushroom flavor, choose button, cremini or enoki mushrooms. For a stronger flavor, and larger mushroom, choose shiitake or portobello.
Wash mushrooms in cool water before using. This removes any excess dirt and debris.
Slice mushrooms at the time you plan to use them, not before. Cutting mushrooms too early will lead to discoloration and decay.
Put sliced button, cremini or enoki mushrooms on green salad. They are mild in flavor and, when used raw, have a dry, light consistency.
Add sliced, fresh mushrooms to soups, gravy, pizza and pasta sauces.
Saute sliced button or shiitake mushrooms alone or add peppers and put on a burger or chicken sandwich.
Add chopped mushrooms to ground turkey, beef or pork to add flavor to and bulk up a meatloaf.
Stir-fry whole or sliced mushrooms with the veggies of your choice. Add teriyaki sauce or tamari and other seasonings to taste and serve with rice.
Slice large portobello mushrooms, then fry or grill them for a meatless sandwich. Put on a burger bun for a unique veggie-burger.
Add small, whole button mushrooms to vegetable or meat kabobs and grill.
Items you will need
- Saute pan
- Wild mushrooms often resemble edible mushrooms. Cooking mushrooms does not eliminate their toxins, according to a report from the University of Connecticut Health Center. Never assume you recognize a safe mushroom growing in the wild.
- Paul Katz/Photodisc/Getty Images
- How to Get Roughage While on a Low-Carb & Low-Fat Diet
- How to Jump-Start a Low-Carb Diet
- The Benefits of Mushrooms in Foods
- How to Lose Weight With Gluten Free Foods
- 11 Best Healthy Foods That You Aren't Eating
- Delicious Foods That Are Low in Fat, Sodium & Sugar
- How to Cut Carbs and Sugars to Lose Weight Fast
- Healthy Alternatives to Put on a Sweet Potato