Dripping in sweat as the slim and trim trainer demands yet another round at the local gym, you may wonder if there are any easy workouts that will help you lose the inches of fat on your body. While not everyone enjoys melting under a trainer's watchful eye, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 150 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly for weight maintenance and 300 minutes weekly to lose weight. While there is no substitute for a healthy diet and a regular exercise regimen, you can choose a workout routine that better fits your personality and lifestyle without the drill-sergeant approach of the local fitness center's instructors.
The easiest way to get moving is walking. Walking outside is pleasant in spring and fall, but when less comfortable weather arrives, it's easy to neglect your daily walking routine. Taking two or three brisk laps around the mall on a smoking hot summer day or during freezing cold winter weather not only gets your heart rate up and burns calories, it also helps you scope out the latest sales at your favorite store. No stopping to shop, however, until your walk is done!
Dance the Inches Away
Jamming to your favorite tunes not only brightens your mood, but depending on how vigorously you dance, it can work your entire body. Throw in a few old-school moves like the Twist and the Hustle and you'll find that you're working your core abdominal muscles as well as your hips, legs and arms. Set a timer to track your dance time or you'll forget that you had other less fun things to do.
Splash It Away
Dive into the warm water at the local pool or fitness center to splash away those stubborn inches of fat. Swimming laps or enjoying a water aerobics class gives your joints a rest as the water gently resists movement, yet supports your body. If you're really lucky, your instructor is so fine that you warm up and your heart rate rises before you even start your water workout.
Work It Out
When you just don't want to leave the house, a simple exercise routine built around a series of crunches, squats, lunges, leg lifts, pushups, steps and jumping jacks allows you to sweat the fat out in private. Adding light weights to increase resistance helps build bone mass and muscle strength.
Improve Your Diet
Making changes in your eating plan also helps you to lose inches. Reducing sugars and fats while increasing your intake of fiber-rich fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes and whole grains generally lowers your daily calorie count. Fewer calories plus exercise equals weight loss and a toned body, leading to a positive end result -- a smaller dress size.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight
- American Heart Association: Get Moving: Easy Tips to Get Active!
- TheMayoClinic.com: 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Exercise - Exercise's Effects on Other Conditions
- TheMayoClinic.com: Exercise for Weight Loss: Calories Burned in 1 Hour
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Healthy Weight - It's Not a Diet, It's a Lifestyle!
- Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
- Is Pilates Good for Losing Weight Fast?
- Waist Whittling Workouts You Can Do at Work
- Easy Exercises for Reducing the Upper Arms, Hips and Waist
- Calisthenic Ab Exercises
- Good Workout to Lose Weight for Plus Size Girls
- Which Burns More Calories: Running or Dance Routines?
- Exercise Plans for Losing Weight at Home
- Sample Weekly Workout Routines for Weight Loss