The master's of education degree is an internationally recognized post-graduate degree. There are several ways to abbreviate a master's degree in education. The correct way depends on the exact degree name that was awarded, the awarding institution's preference or the coursework or program structure the student chose. For example, graduates may earn a master's of science or arts in education, or a master's of education. Some degrees are highly specialized, making it as important to list the major with the degree's abbreviation to clarify where a person's expertise really lies.
Abbreviate a master's of education degree as M.Ed. if the degree name is specified as a master's of education, not in arts or science first. The M.Ed. is often awarded from college of educations or programs that cater to professional practitioners already working in education. This degree is the entry-level requirement for school administrators in some states. Specializations with this degree include school counseling, school psychology or educational leadership, which may also be specified in the degree title on the diploma.
Abbreviate a master's of science in education degree as M.S., M.S.Ed., M.S.E. or M.Sc. The degree awarded provides the clues you will need to abbreviate the title. If it says master's of science -- use M.S. If it says master's of science in education -- use M.S.Ed. or M.S.E. Europeans may use M.Sc. To further complicate things, schools like Harvard and M.I.T. use S.M. to abbreviate the master's of science degree. To determine which of theses abbreviations to use, you may even have to research the school or ask the degree holder her preference.
Abbreviate a master's of arts in education degree as M.A. or M.A.Ed.. The degree awarded tells you which abbreviation to use. If it says master's of arts -- use M.A. If it says master's of arts in education -- use M.A.Ed. Harvard and M.I.T. use A.M. to abbreviate the master's of arts degree.
- Harvard University-The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences: Degree Programs
- Education Resources Information Center: The Growing Confusion Among Master's Programs in Education
- The University of North Dakota-Online & Distance Education: Instructional Design & Technology (MEd or MS)
- University of Minnesota-College of Education and Human Development: M.A./M.S. or M.Ed. Professional Studies?
- Illinois State University-Graduate School: Key to Degree Abbreviations
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Use My Bachelor's Degree in Art
- What to Study to Become a Physician Assistant
- How to Put a Resume Together
- How to Write a Comprehensive Resume
- How to Answer a Differentiated Instruction Interview
- Examples of a Letter of Intent for a Teaching Job
- How to Get Rid of Fat Adductors
- Example of an Objective Statement