A career as a registered nurse has a high potential for growth. If you're a medical professional who wants to sharpen your health care skills and command through graduate training, you might be leaning in the direction of advanced practice nursing. Strong writers often excel as advanced practice nurses, as communication is a major component of the work.
Proficiency in Writing
When you're considering going down the path of advanced practical nursing, make sure first that writing is a strong suit of yours. When advanced practice nurses evaluate their patients' well-being, they often have to express it in written form. When they write their reports on patient health, they also have to be adept in the use of appropriate medical jargon. Since skillful writing duties are so crucial for advanced practice nurses, a major part of their educational programs center around the topic with composition courses, for example. Advanced practice nurses must be able to convey elaborate written concepts in a manner that's both accurate and eloquent.
Writing and Training
The position of an advanced practice nurse often is that of a leader. Advanced practice nurses are often in charge of paving the way for the rest of their teams at work. Not only is it important for advanced practice nurses to possess writing aptitude, but they also have to be able to effectively assist others in enhancing those key skills. Training is a key element to successful work as an advanced practice nurse.
Extensive Writing Requirements
Writing duties for advanced practice nurses often delve even than detailed patient evaluations. One of the key responsibilities of many advanced practice nurses, namely clinical nurse specialists, is writing protocol and methodologies for their workplaces, whether in hospitals or smaller health clinics.
Communication and Advanced Practice Nurses
The key to being an effective advanced practice nurse is not only to possess admirable writing skills, but also to be an effective communicator in general. Advanced practice nurses employ communication every day on the job, whether they have to interact with patients and their families or direct other members of the staff. Since training is such a prominent element of working as an advanced practice nurse, they're also expected to help other workers hone their communication abilities. Many advanced practice nursing educational programs focus heavily on communication with courses in subjects such as public speaking.
- Florida International University Nursing & Health Sciences: Advanced Practice Nurse Competencies
- University of Virginia Health System: Advanced Practice Nurse
- Central DuPage Hospital: Advanced Practice Nurse/Peds ER
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing: What is Advanced Practice Nursing?
- Cedars-Sinai: Advanced Practice
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: The Essentials of Master's Education for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Long Island University Brooklyn: M.S. in Adult Nurse Practitioner
- University of California Santa Cruz Career Center: Advanced Practice Nursing
- National Student Nurses Association: Advanced Practice
- Home Care Nursing Practice; Robyn Rice
- Thomas Northcut/Digital Vision/Getty Images