Flabby upper-arm skin can make wearing short-sleeved tops and swimwear uncomfortable. You can tone up the upper arms by doing exercises that target the triceps, the muscles on the back of the arm. You will also need to engage in aerobic training and implement a healthy diet for overall fat-loss. In addition to specific triceps exercises, training the other muscles in the arms such as the biceps helps give the appearance of a slimmer, more defined upper body. Do arm-toning exercises three times a week and allow 48 hours in between sessions for adequate muscle recovery.
Tighten flabby upper-arm skin with triceps extensions. This exercise trains the triceps muscle, the muscle on the back of the upper arm that extends the elbow. Do this exercise by standing next to a bench with your left knee on the bench. Place your left hand on the bench so you are bent at a 90-degree angle with your back straight. Hold a dumbbell in your right hand and bend your elbow so the weight is close to your chest. Keeping your elbow by your side, extend your hand and forearm back until your elbow is straight behind you. You should feel the triceps muscle working. Repeat 10 times before switching sides to train the left arm.
Add triceps dips to your strength-training routine to decrease upper-arm flab and tone up. Do this exercise by sitting on a bench with legs straight in front of you and heels touching the floor. Place your hands on the bench on each side of you and grip the edges. Lift your butt off the seat and lower yourself down toward the floor by bending your elbows. Pause for a second before pushing yourself back up so your arms are extended. Repeat 10 times for a total of three sets.
Engage in cardiovascular exercise to lose upper-arm flab. Although it is not possible to spot-reduce fat loss from the body, overall weight loss will affect excess arm fat as well. Cardio exercise such as running, swimming and biking increases caloric burn to help get rid of fatty layers that are hiding toned arm muscles. The NHS recommends engaging in at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week. Adults looking to lose weight should exceed these standards. Aim to include three to five aerobic sessions of 30 to 60 minutes in duration per week.
Items you will need
- Eat a healthy diet consisting of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins and healthy fats to aid in weight-loss efforts.
- Tighten flabby skin with daily exfoliations to remove dead skin cells and increase circulation. Additionally, certain body creams and lotions may contain minerals that help tighten up skin and improve tone. Experiment to see which one works for you or speak to a beauty technician first.
- If you've lost a large amount of weight, you may have excess loose skin hanging around that is difficult to get rid of. Stick to a healthy exercise and eating regimen; if you aren't achieving great success, consider speaking with a medical professional or plastic surgeon to consider your alternatives.
- Consult with a health professional prior to starting a workout routine that could negatively impact your health.
- Body +Soul: Skin-Tightening Tricks
- The New Rules Of Lifting For Women: Lift Like A Man, Look Like A Goddess; Lou Schuler et al.
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images