Hotel housemen work behind the scenes, maintaining and cleaning the hotel. They help housekeepers, clean hallways, take out trash and clean other parts of the hotel, such as its floors and doorways. They also respond to guest requests and help provide customer service.
Hotel housemen help members of the hotel’s housekeeping staff clean and maintain rooms. They may flip mattresses, separate soiled linens, stock housekeeping supplies and help clean bathrooms and other guest areas. Housemen also clean lobby furniture, elevator doors and frames and empty ashtrays, in areas where the hotel allows smoking. Hotel housemen may also handle a hotel’s lost and found.
Hotel housemen maintenance duties begin when something breaks or needs a good cleaning. From painting walls and deep-cleaning carpets to repairing furniture, fixtures, televisions and other equipment in the hotel or in any of its rooms, hotel housemen must becomes jacks of all trades. Their duties can also include maintaining a hotel's HVAC unit and replacing air conditioning units and/or filters.
Sometimes, housemen respond to guest requests, such as when a light isn't working in a room or when the hallway ice machine isn't working. Because housemen will interact with guests, most hotels require their housemen to know company policies. Hotel housemen should know how to resolve basic and standard problems, respond to requests and help make sure that guests enjoy their stays.
Since most hotels never close, hotel housemen must be flexible in the hours they can work. In fact, the Wyndham chain of hotels requires this flexibility and an ability and willingness to work long hours when necessary. Hotel housemen must also be able to lift and carry up to 100 pounds. Appearance counts in a hotel, and some hotels require housemen to wear a uniform and follow company appearance standards.
Education and Experience
Landing a hotel houseman job at most hotels requires at least a high school diploma or a GED. Some hotels also want housemen to have a driver’s license and clean driving record. Previous experience in the hospitality or hotel industry can also help.
- Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Root Causes of Workplace Negativity
- Naval Architect Vs. Ocean Engineer
- Does an Employee Have a Right to See Their Personnel File?
- Does Change Help or Hurt Performance in the Workplace?
- How Long Must My Job Be Held When on Temporary Disability?
- What Are the Functions of a Family Law Paralegal?
- What Tools Does an Architect Use?
- Positive & Negative Reactions to Employee Incentives
- Professional Objectives for a Successful Kindergarten Teacher
- Social Workers Who Work With Senior Citizens