Toned, lean muscles are high on the priority list for many women. If you are looking for an easy way to build sexy calves, try the double leg calf raise. This exercise can be performed at the gym, in your home or even in a stairwell on your lunch break at work.
Calf Raises: Stairs
Stand with the balls of your feet on the bottom step and heels hanging off the edge. Hold on to the railing if needed to help keep your balance.
Keeping your knees slightly bent, lower your heels down until you feel a slight stretch along the back of your calves: This is your starting position.
Press down through your toes, lift your heels and raise yourself up as high as possible on the balls of your feet. Hold for two to three seconds, then lower back down. Repeat 10 times and work up to three sets in a row.
Calf Raises: Barbell
Hold a barbell across the back of your shoulders, gripping the bar with your hands shoulder-width apart and palms facing forward.
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees straight -- not locked -- and toes pointed forward.
Press down through the balls of your feet and lift your heels as high as possible. Hold for two to three seconds, then lower back down. Repeat 10 times and work up to three sets in a row.
Calf Raises: Dumbbells
Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your arms resting by your sides.
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees straight -- not locked -- and toes pointed forward.
Raise up on the balls of your feet as high as possible. Hold for two to three seconds, then lower back down. Repeat 10 times and work up to three sets in a row. Progress to dumbbell calf raises on the stairs as strength improves.
- Progress to one-legged calf raises to advance this workout. Target different calf muscles by turning your toes slightly inward, then slightly outward as you perform heel raises.
- Stop exercising if you feel pain with heel raises. Use a spotter when performing calf raises with a barbell.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Exercises for Quads With Dumbbells
- Good Workouts for the Chest & Back Using Smith Machines
- What Are the Leg Press & Shoulder Press?
- Can You Do Pushups the Day After a Chest Workout?
- A Total Body Core Tightening Workout
- What Are the Benefits of Barbell Rows?
- Safety While Performing Shoulder Presses on the Machine
- Easy Exercises With Dumbbells
- Is the Weight Lifted on a Smith Machine the Same As Free Weights?
- Weightlifting Exercises for Hamstrings