If you're having a hard time getting through your workout, it might be time to work on your energy levels. Sleeping more and eating a healthier diet might help you improve your energy levels in the long run -- but it won't help you if you're already in the gym and you feel your energy running out. If you're midway through an exercise session, you'll need a quick "pick me up".
Take some energy drinks with you. Energy drinks rely on either sugar -- in the form of sucrose and glucose -- or caffeine to provide you with a quick burst of energy. If you're trying to lose weight, opt for a sugar-free energy drink, as you might end up consuming too many calories otherwise.
Fill your iPod with your favorite songs. Researchers from UK's Brunel University found that music can boost exercise performance by up to 20 percent. There's no specific type of music you should be using -- just pick something uptempo that motivates and makes you feel energized.
Try some energy gels. These are small, single servings of simple carbohydrates -- such as sugars. Take one when you feel your energy falling, and you'll get a quick burst to keep you going. If you can't afford energy gels or they're not available where you are, try the equivalent of one tablespoon of honey. Health food stores sell single serving packs of honey. They are meant to be used as a sugar substitute in tea or other drinks, but you can simply eat one as you would a small snack or a piece of candy.
Keep yourself hydrated. Lack of water can make you feel tired and sluggish, especially if you're sweating a lot. According to PBS, you should be drinking eight ounces of water every 15 minutes when you're working out.
- PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- Does Basketball Help Your Lung Capacity?
- How to Use a Band Loop During Squats to Eliminate Knee Valgus
- What Exercise Helps Support Large Breasts?
- Can You Increase Cardiovascular Fitness in 2 Weeks?
- Are You Allowed to Touch a Basketball With Your Legs?
- Which is Better: Mini Trampoline or Big Trampoline?
- Does the Bicycle Maneuver Work to Get a Flat Stomach?
- How to Do a Beginner Hindu Pushup
- The Best Exercises to Put Muscle Around the Shoulders & Clavicle
- A 21-Day Abs Workout