Registered nurses are in great demand in the 21st century. There has been a shortage of nurses in many areas of the country since the mid-1990s, and the aging of the baby boomer population in the U.S. means an increasing demand for nurses through at least 2020. If you are working as a certified nursing assistant, but are ready take a big step forward in your career, you should consider getting the training required to become an RN.
Earn a bachelor of science in nursing degree. While it is possible to get an associate's degree in nursing -- an ADN -- and still become licensed as an RN, many major hospitals require RNs to have a bachelor's degree. If you do take the ADN route to becoming an RN, you will probably have to go back to school to get a BSN at some point in the future if you want to continue to advance your nursing career. You will also undertake a student nursing rotation working with experienced nurses in all of the major medical specialties in your final semester of nursing school.
Take and pass the National Council Licensure Examination, or NCLEX, for RNs. This is a comprehensive exam covering all aspects of your nursing training, and includes written and practical sections.
Apply to your state nursing board to become licensed to practice nursing. Exact requirements vary slightly by state, but all states require that you pass the NCLEX-RN exam to become licensed.
- Some major hospitals offer CNA to RN or LPN to RN bridge programs where you can earn an ADN or an RN diploma and qualify to take the NCLEX-RN.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook -- Registered Nurses
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook -- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants
- CNA Programs: The Brief Overview of a CNA to RN Program
- NurseZone.com: Student Nurses
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: Nursing Shortage
- Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
- The Duties of International Pilots
- What Are the Duties of an Inventory Control Analyst?
- The Disadvantages of Working for a Large Company Startup
- Assistant Treasurer Duties
- Do You Have to Go Through Basic Training to Be a National Guard Social Worker?
- Data Capturer Job Description
- Description of a Mechatronic Engineer
- Oncology Nurse Internship Programs
- The Code of Conduct for IT Administrators
- The Maximum Number of Offenses to Enlist in the Marine Corps