The job application process is high-tech at some companies. Job advertisements often instruct job applicants to fill out Web-based application forms and include resumes. After job seekers have successfully completed and submitted their applications and resume, human resources professionals and hiring managers use computer software programs to browse through the documents looking for the most qualified applicants. You want to make sure you use the correct process when attaching your resume to the application so that selecting officials will have the full story about your career experience and qualifications.
Set up and sign in to your job application account on the hiring employer's or the job-listing website. Click the "Registration" or "Sign Up" button on the Home page of the job-listing website, and then create a username, password and job-search profile. If you are applying directly through the hiring company's website, find the registration option in the "Careers" or "Work For Us" section. You are creating a file or online storage space for your application and resume. These accounts may follow you throughout the hiring process.
Read the complete application instructions in the specific online job advertisement or posting. Some companies ask you to click the "Apply" button directly on the Web page. Your Internet browser may redirect from the general job-listing website to the hiring company's application website. Your profile information often transfers from your registered account directly into the application form. In addition, you may have to fill in the application before seeing the Web page that asks for your resume.
Revise and reformat your resume to comply with application instructions. Some companies instruct applicants to convert the resume from a word-processed document or rich-text format, ".DOC" or ".RTF," respectively, to the plain-text format, ".TXT." This conversion increases compatibility when the hiring manager opens and reads your resume on the company's computer and reduces the potential transmission of viruses from your computer to the company's systems.
Click the "Attach" or "Upload" button on the Web page when you get to the resume section of the application. A separate dialog box should appear on the screen. Click the "Browse" button. Locate your resume file on your computer's hard drive. Click on the file's name to select it for attachment. Click the "Attach" or "Upload" button in the dialog box to add the resume to your online application.
Confirm that your resume is attached to your application. The Web page might state "Resume Upload Successful." Alternatively, you might see an active hyperlink for your resume after it has been uploaded to and saved on the company's application servers, such as "John Doe Resume.doc." Click on this link to download your resume document to your computer, confirming that the company has your resume with your online application.
- The company might instruct applicants to copy and paste the text from the resume document into a blank field on the Web page.
- Some hiring companies and job-listing websites prefer that applicants use built-in resume features. Instead of typing your resume in a word processing application on your PC, you type your work history, education and skills in those respective sections on the Web page.
- Be sure to fill out the complete online application, as instructed. Don't type, "See Attached Resume For More Information."
- Positively Minnesota: Guidelines for Applications
- Career One Stop: Job Search -- Online Application
- Monster Support Home: Apply Online
- Monster Support Home: Create and Post a Resume
- LinkedIn Help Center: Uploading Your Resume when Applying for Job on LinkedIn
- Positively Minnesota: Sample Online Job Application, Page 3
- Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
- Literacy Specialist Job Description
- Description of a Resume for Student Teaching
- Motivational Interview Icebreaker
- What Is an Employment Proficiency Test?
- Compensation Analyst Interview Questions
- What Is the Purpose of Joining the Navy or Air Force?
- Average Salary of Recruitment Consultants
- The Minimum Wage in the Hospitality Industry
- The Average Salary of Health Unit Coordinators
- How Long Is a Long-Term Temp Job?